BmoreArt is seeking a full-time Managing Editor to join our team in Baltimore, MD.
October 9, 2018
BmoreArt is a Baltimore-based print magazine and webzine that celebrates, questions, and critiques art and culture. It started out as a community-based blog in 2007 and evolved into a professional webzine in 2014 and biannual print journal in 2015. BmoreArt works with a diverse team of writers, art historians, artists, photographers, and designers to create a multifaceted and authentic vision of Baltimore as a place for creativity and community, but also serves as a constructive critic.
BmoreArt covers the arts and culture of the city, region, and nation from a nuanced and socially relevant perspective. We view the arts as a way to engage with human rights, social issues, politics, economics, and relationships of all kinds. We believe that the arts are a vehicle to knowing ourselves better – as individuals, as a community, a city, and a global entity – and that everyone benefits when artists’ contributions are elevated, acknowledged, recognized, accessed, supported, and engaged. Our audience is far greater than the regional community of artists and culture producers, encompassing a broad and diverse demographic; our tone is conversational, rather than academic.
BmoreArt boasts an active and growing online readership averaging 60,000 visits each month and produces a full color print journal twice a year. We have a growing following on social media and increasingly host meaningful community events like speaker series, panels, and magazine launch parties. We are an independent and experimental publication that values creativity, innovation, authentic voice, and storytelling. We are looking for an individual with excellent writing and editing skills to become a key member of our team with a vision for this growing publication’s future.
Managing Editor Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assign stories and manage pitches from writers around the region and present them for feedback at our weekly editorial meetings at Motor House
- Produce original written content for BmoreArt online and in print on a regular basis and report on news and other relevant stories as they unfold
- Design and populate a regular publishing schedule for online content, formatting and uploading content, editing, and making corrections as needed
- Edit written content for online and print publications
- Work with the BmoreArt team and maintain regular professional correspondence with publisher, writers, art professionals, calendar manager, advertising & distribution manager, and readers
- Help maintain BmoreArt’s social media presence as needed
- Fact-check content to ensure accuracy of all published material
- Attend relevant art and cultural events, press previews, and exhibitions as a representative of the publication
- Help plan and execute biannual BmoreArt magazine launch parties and events as needed
- Integrate strong visuals, whether photography, video, or other media, into articles with proper documentation
- Solid understanding of and appreciation for the arts and culture, particularly material that circulates outside of the mainstream or commercial art world, but also galleries, museums, and other art publications
- Strong communication and writing skills, including email and social media
- Experience in online writing and editing, with an understanding of the local and global online and print ecosystem for journalism and criticism
- Copy editing expertise and experience
- A professional publishing record in arts, culture, and related topics
- Ability to do effective community outreach, and build and sustain relationships
- Have a vision for BmoreArt’s growth and evolution over the next 3-5 years
Application Should Include:
- Resume / CV
- 3 References – name, phone, address, email, and professional context
- Cover Letter
- Three Writing Samples – Links or printouts of three published works that you believe are relevant to BmoreArt’s audience
- A short statement (500-600 words) about your vision for the publication and your role there
Starting annual salary is commensurate with experience. Starting range is $45,000.
Email your application to Publisher / Editor-in-Chief Cara Ober at [email protected] by November 30, 2018.