CulturalDC is seeking artists of all kinds to submit new and engaging works for our Works-in-Progress initiative. Whether you’re a performance artist, singer/songwriter, interpretive dancer, comedian, playwright, clown, etc., we have a spot for you! We will be programming up to 3 projects for one-time engagements, with a possibility for further development.
CulturalDC provides a platform for artists to obtain exposure with our network of arts organizations, audiences, and real estate developers. We offer performance space, critical feedback from staff at rehearsals, and marketing support. Artists receive a stipend.
Priority is given to artists and organizations who have not received developmental support from CulturalDC.
CulturalDC will consider applications based upon the following criteria:
- Response to the themes for our Mobile Art Gallery exhibition (Recommended, Not Required)
- Project must not have received prior development in the greater Washington, DC area
- Artistic merit of the proposed project
- Artist or organizational experience
- Capacity to fully execute proposed exhibition
- Viability of the project
- Suitability to the mission of CulturalDC (innovative concept, theme, and work)
- NOVEMBER 1,11:59PM: Initial Applications Due
- NOVEMBER 9: Applicants Informed of Status
- DECEMBER 1, 11:59pm: Round 2 applicants final packets Due
- DECEMBER 21: Final Projects Chosen
- APRIL/MAY 2019: 1st Work-in-Progress
- JULY/AUGUST 2019: 2nd Work-in-Progress
All dates subject to change.
IN RESPONSE TO MOBILE ART GALLERY EXHIBITION
Please do not attempt to fit an existing project to these descriptions. If you choose to respond to the themes, we are seeking authentic and original proposals.
CulturalDC’s Mobile Art Gallery will be transformed into a fully-functional barbershop offering free haircuts. The installation explores the art of hair, placing hair in conversation with its cultural contexts, the performance of style and community gathering spaces. The exhibition will run from approximately May-August 2019.