Call For Entry: CREATING CONNECTIONS
An Acquisition & Print Replication Project
Monday, August 13, 2018 Application Deadline
To download the full prospectus, click here.
Maryland Art Place (MAP), in partnership with The CyberWire is pleased to announce an open ‘Call to Artists’. As an extension of MAP’s annual IMPRINT Project, MAP is working with The CyberWire to offer a unique opportunity to female visual artists of the greater Baltimore metropolitan area. Collectively, MAP and The CyberWire wish to acquire and possibly commission, time permitting, plus license the image of a work of art. The image of that artwork will be reproduced in a limited edition and presented to the guests of The CyberWire’s 5th Annual Women in Cyber Security reception on October 18, 2018.
ABOUT “CREATING CONNECTIONS”: We live in a time where cyberspace has become inextricably linked to the lives of individuals and organizations of all kinds. Cyberspace is the medium of global commerce and communication, and it is one of the most important factors in the social, political, and technological changes we see occurring today. The CyberWire provides concise and relevant daily briefings on the critical news happening across the global cyber security domain. In an industry overloaded with information, we also help individuals and organizations rapidly find the news and information that’s important to them.
As the aim of The CyberWire’s reception is to facilitate connections among women working in cyber security and would like to acquire a work of art that reflects the theme of “creating connections.” Inherent in the idea of connections is the idea of networks-social networks, computer networks and support networks-which may be an important point of departure for acquired or commissioned work. This opportunity is open to female artists living and working in the greater Baltimore metropolitan area.
General Guidelines & Information
- MAP only accepts 2-d works for reproduction – photography, painting, mixed media or similar welcomed.
- All works must be no larger than 18″ X 24″.
- The reproduction edition will be decided on, and agreed upon at a later date, but will not exceed 250.
- All reproductions will receive a ‘chop or seal’ noting The CyberWire as the publisher.
- All reproductions will be printed on an agreed upon archival fine art paper, expense absorbed by The CyberWire.
- **Artist agrees to not reproduce the selected artwork at the agreed upon dimensions of this project as this will devalue the edition. Likewise, The CyberWire agrees not to reproduce the image after the edition has ended.
- The CyberWire will cover scanning fees/photography associated with the reproduction.
- Artist agrees to use of artwork image for press and promotional purposes related to this project and event.
- Artist will remain owner of image copyright.
- Artist is invited to attend the Women in Cyber Security reception on October 18, 2018.
Benefits to the artist: The selected artist will benefit in the following ways
- $1,000 Cash Award + a $500 additional award in honor of the event’s 5th anniversary for a total of a $1,500 Cash Award in 2018.
- Increased visibility of artist’s name and artwork through:
- Press announcements
- Highlighted on MAP and The CyberWire’s websites
- The gifting of artist reproduction to attendees of the Women in Cyber Security reception
- Acknowledgement at Women in Cyber Security reception on October 18, 2018
To apply please see the following application and required attachments: Please send your application to [email protected] by close of business Monday, August 13, 2018.
Application Fee: $10 for non-MAP members. Submit your fee by clicking on “Get Involved”, “Donate” on MAP’s website and simply adjust the fee to $10. Please attach your payment receipt to your application. Checks can be made payable to: Maryland Art Place | c/o Benefit | 218 West Saratoga Street Baltimore, MD 21201
Member of MAP? Your submission fee will be waived. Please make a note on your submission that you are a member!
- July 3: Release Call
- Monday, August 13, 2018 Application Deadline
- Week of September 10, Artist Studio Visits/Interviews
- September 24, Awarded Artist Announced
- September 28 – October 14, Printing/Production
- Thursday, October 18, 2018 Women in Cyber Security Reception
About the Women in Cyber Security Reception
Bringing together women from across the region and all different points on the career spectrum, this event will be an opportunity to get together and share what we are all passionate about-empowering women to succeed in the cyber security field. Leaders from industry, academia, and government can reconnect and strengthen existing relationships while building new ones. Those just starting out in their careers have the chance to meet the technical and business professionals who are shaping the future of cyber security. This invitation-only event will be held at the International Spy Museum at L’Enfant Plaza overlooking the Washington Monument and the Capitol in Washington, DC.
The CyberWire & the Arts
The CyberWire believes that having a thriving arts community is critical to the future of the state of Maryland-the place they have made their home. “Artists challenge the way we see and think about the world, and about ourselves-without this, we don’t learn, and we don’t grow; their work brings about new ideas, changes attitudes, and shapes culture-without this, we stagnate. The arts community is a wellspring of imagination and creativity-this is the fuel of innovation. The arts contribute immeasurably to the world we see around us, and to our quality of life-this creates a vibrant culture that attracts new residents, businesses, and sustains those that have already made their home here. We believe the arts are invaluable and desire our employees and their families to live and work in a visually and intellectually vibrant state for decades to come.” ~ The CyberWire team