VisArts seeks a full-time Exhibition Coordinator to provide artistic and administrative support to the Gallery Director/Curator. The position provides support primarily in the areas of exhibition installation/de-installation, lighting and labeling, liaison with artists, development of educational programming associated with exhibitions and design and production of promotional materials for exhibitions. The position will also be responsible for gallery department administrative tasks including, posting of exhibition schedule on online sites, maintaining artist files, archiving exhibition materials and other tasks as needed.
I. SCOPE OF FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Coordinate and implement exhibit installation/de-installation.
B. Serve as liaison with artists for contracts, insurance, transportation and installation and de-installation scheduling.
C. Recruit, train and supervise gallery interns.
D. Manage online and website posting of gallery promotion and calls for entry in print and social media.
A. Personal and Professional Qualifications:
1. Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills
2. Positive attitude
3. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in partnership with people of diverse backgrounds
4. Commitment to working collaboratively, including artistic and curatorial collaborations
5. Excellent interpersonal skills; writing, presentation and public speaking skills
6. Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, Microsoft Word and/or other software programs for design of publicity
7. Knowledge of and ability to implement social networking for publicity and educational purposes
8. Strong people skills, including the capacity to inspire teamwork, build consensus and motivate a wide variety of stakeholders
9. Poise under pressure; must be able to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment, and enjoy working on multiple complex projects in a changing environment.
B. Education and Experience:
1. BFA or MFA in exhibition design or studio art
2. Experience and knowledge of best practices for preparing, handling and installing artwork of all types of media
3. Basic knowledge of graphic design
III. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement the exhibition schedule including intake and outtake of artwork
- Oversee and assist with every aspect of installation and de-installation of artwork including lighting
- Assist Gallery Director in the processing of contracts, loan and condition forms, assembly of promotional materials
- Coordinate with artists, curators, marketing director regarding schedules and promotions
- Post calls for entry, collate results for jury, respond to questions about calls
- Update website and oversee the submission of online press postings and social media
- Coordinate and implement gallery preparation – patching, painting, cleaning
- Produce exhibition handouts, vinyl signs, labels
- Prepare and set up for receptions, workshops, lectures, gallery-related activities
- Assist with the development and implementation of educational programming associated with VisArts Gallery department
- Recruit, train and supervise gallery interns in coordination with Gallery Director
- Oversee on-site supervision of galleries during gallery hours and on weekends for gallery events
- Maintain artist files and process sales of artwork
- Maintain and organize gallery storage and paint closet
- Order office and gallery supplies
- Keep budget tracker up to date
- Oversee documentation of exhibitions and gallery events for social media and archive
- Maintain archive of exhibitions and gallery programs
- Insure the integrity of each exhibition throughout its run
- Other duties as assigned by the Gallery Director
IV. STAFF RELATIONSHIP/ACCOUNTABILITY
The Exhibition Coordinator reports directly to the Gallery Director.
Commensurate with experience
VI. TO APPLY
Send application materials to Alice Nappy, Executive Director, [email protected]
- Cover letter
- CV or resume
- List of three references
Application deadline: August 7, 2015